One of the great pleasures in life is to be able to have a steaming cup of coffee at the right time and place. Something that seems so simple can sometimes be frustrating, though.
The best solution is to buy a portable coffee maker. That way, you'll have coffee wherever you are. We have selected the 10 best portable coffee makers, so you can make an informed decision and never run out of coffee again.
1. What Is A Portable Coffee Maker?
A portable coffee maker, also known as a travel coffee maker or an individual coffee maker, is a wonderful way to drink coffee when you are away from home. Obviously, coffee drinkers can't pick up an entire coffee machine and travel with it. That's what a portable coffee maker is for. It was created specifically to take with you on short or long trips so you can always make the perfect cup of coffee to your tastes.
2. How Do I Choose The Best Portable Coffee Maker?
Everyone has different opinions when it comes to making coffee on the go. If you already know that you want to buy a portable coffee maker, but you are still not sure how to choose the best one for you, think about some of these characteristics.
The Size Of The Coffee Maker
All portable coffee makers are very similar in size. If you plan to travel with it or carry it around with you throughout the day, make sure the size works for you.
The Type Of Water You Use
Some of these portable coffee makers use a battery to heat water. This means you only need to have access to cold water. Some of these makers, however, require you to add hot water yourself. Make sure you will have access to hot water if you choose one of those from the list.
The Type Of Coffee You Drink
Some of the coffee makers on our list use regular, ground coffee. Some of them use pods. Some of the best portable coffee makers allow you to use either. Take into consideration how you prefer your coffee.
The Battery Life
Some of these portable coffee makers come with rechargeable batteries. This works well for some travelers. Check to see how many cups of coffee you can make on one charge. This will give you an idea if one of these is the best portable coffee maker for you. Depending on the battery, you can make 80 to 200 cups of fresh coffee without having to recharge! If you buy a rechargeable water heater, you should look for how many coffees the battery gives you.
How We Reviewed
Many brands of portable coffee makers were competing to make the best portable coffee maker list. We judged each product based on its portability. We wanted to find out how well each product traveled, how heavy or light it was to carry around, and how small or bulky the maker was.
We wanted to select makers resistant to wear and tear, especially for travelers who like to throw their portable coffee makers into their luggage. We looked for products that did not have easily breakable or fragile parts. We also based our list on how effective the coffee maker made coffee. Above all, the best portable coffee maker must make delicious coffee.
Overall Price Range
Portable coffee makers are incredibly affordable for all budgets. The ten products listed below cost between $ and $$. Traditional coffee machines are much pricier, costing hundreds of dollars and sometimes more.
What We Reviewed
AeroPress Coffee And Espresso Maker
- Popular with coffee enthusiasts worldwide, the patented AeroPress is a new kind of coffee press that uses a rapid, total immersion brewing process to make smooth, delicious, full flavored coffee without bitterness and with low acidity.
- Good-bye French Press! The rapid brewing AeroPress avoids the bitterness and high acidity created by the long steep time required by the French press. Plus, the AeroPress paper Microfilter eliminates grit and means clean up takes seconds.
- Makes 1 to 3 cups of American coffee per pressing in about a minute, and unlike a French press, it can also brew espresso style coffee for use in lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso based drinks.
- Perfect for home kitchen use, the AeroPress is lightweight, compact, portable and durable, making it also ideal for traveling, camping, backpacking, boating and more!
- Includes the AeroPress press, funnel, scoop, stirrer, 350 microfilters and a filter holder. No Phthalates or BPA. Mug not included. Assembled measurements: 9 1/2" h X 4" w X 4" d
The AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker makes the best portable coffee maker list because of its popularity. We couldn't wait to try it out.
The AeroPress is entirely manual. There are no batteries or charging cables to worry about. It's clear that this machine was made for portability. The zippered nylon tote bag was perfect for carrying around town in a messenger bag, and it did great being tossed around in a suitcase.
This portable coffee maker is fast. A user can make one to three cups of coffee per pressing, which takes about one minute. Coffee drinkers can enjoy American style coffee or espresso style. The taste of the AeroPress coffee was outstanding. It was rich and full-flavored with no bitterness.
This coffee maker is durable, lightweight, makes terrific coffee, and comes with a microfilter to remove any potential grit.
OXO BREW Venture Travel French Press With Shatterproof Tritan Carafe
- Durable, clear Tritan carafe is shatter resistant, and perfect for taking on the go while traveling or camping
- Convenient windows clearly show coffee levels
- Plunger with silicone gasket filters coffee for a delicious brew, and comes apart for easy cleaning
- Spout with filter adds secondary level of filtration
- 8-cup capacity is ideal for serving parties of two or more
If you thought French press coffee drinkers were out of luck when it comes to portability, you were wrong. Fortunately, this clear and durable Tritan carafe is the perfect portable coffee maker.
The carafe is see-through and shatter-resistant, making it soar to the top of our best portable coffee maker list. This maker holds a whopping eight-cups, so it's perfect for family camping trips, or traveling with large groups of coffee drinkers. The coffee from this maker was delicious. We loved the way it poured so smoothly through the slotted spout, acting as its primary filter.
Primula Single Serve Coffee Brew Buddy
- COFFEE ON THE GO - Anytime, anywhere. Easy and convenient personal brewing system designed for the active coffee lover. The portable, slim line design allows you to brew anywhere you go in as little as 30 seconds. Perfect for everyday use at home, the office, traveling or camping.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN - Patented brewing technology for a smooth and rich coffee experience. This reusable extra-fine mesh filter ensures no grounds end up in your cup. Fits most coffee cups or mugs including your travel mug.
- EASY TO USE - All you need is coffee, a cup or mug and hot water for your perfect single cup of coffee. Simply place the Brew Buddy over your cup, add your own coffee or tea blend, pour hot water and brew until your desired strength is reached.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Dishwasher safe. Simply dispose of used coffee grinds and rinse or place inside a dishwasher.
- SAVES MONEY - Eliminates the need for reusable paper filters, coffee pods or K-Cups, carafes or an electric coffee maker.
One of the best portable coffee makers on this list is the Primula Single Serve Coffee Brew Buddy. It brews one cup of coffee at a time and is easily customizable. This portable coffee maker comes with a reusable mesh coffee filter that can be used with any grind. We tried coarse through fine, and sure enough, this mesh filter worked like a charm.
This is a manual coffee maker, making it easily portable. It's small and durable, making travel easy. It's dishwasher safe, and it fits over almost any size mug or thermos. We had a great time experimenting with the Primula mesh coffee filter. This little pour-over tool had us clamoring to use it. No matter what size coffee mug we were using, the coffee was smooth and creamy.
Bodum Travel Press
- Travel Coffee maker: brew Coffee or tea on the go and drink from same container when ready; enjoy your daily fix wherever you are
- Quick and easy: Simply add coarsely ground Coffee, hot water and seal the lid for a delicious, freshly pressed cup in minutes
- Stainless steel: made of vacuum-sealed, double-wall construction, this stainless steel travel mug keeps beverages hot or cold for several hours
- Durable design: French press mug features a Spill resistant lid, built-in plunger and colorful, silicone, non-slip grip for easy Travel
- On the go mug: Travel mug holds 15 oz. of Coffee or tea and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
Bodum is a well-known brand, so it's no surprise they made the cut on our best portable coffee maker list. We love the sleek look of this maker. It comes in red, white, green, or black, and the container is stainless steel. The travel press is made of double-wall, vacuum-sealed material so your coffee will stay hot all day long, no matter where you are.
This maker is a French press and portable coffee mug combo. You make your coffee and drink out of the same mug. This mug is spill-resistant, which is an ideal feature for traveling coffee drinkers, especially those on long flights, or busy subway stations.
The mug holds 15 ounces of coffee with a built-in plunger and a non-slip grip in one of four pretty colors. When we made our daily cup of joe in this Bodum Travel Press, we were pleasantly surprised. It kept our coffee piping hot for almost eight hours.
Espro Travel Coffee Press
- YOUR COFFEE, WITHOUT LIMITS- Become a savvy coffee traveler with the ESPRO travel press and no-leak mug; Brew and sip cafe-worthy coffee anywhere
- GRIT / SLUDGE FREE - Unlike other travel coffee presses, the patented double micro-filter keeps your cup extraordinarily free of grit and sludge; Leave no sip behind
- NO MORE BITTERNESS - Pressing the filter stops extraction completely, so your coffee doesn't get bitter over time; The last drop tastes just like the first
- HOT FOR HOURS - Insulated double-walled stainless steel keeps your brew hot for hours and will never break; Enjoy your coffee at your own pace
- FRIENDS FOR LIFE - Built durably to brew for life; Designed to be your forever travel french press
The Espro Travel Coffee Press could have made our best portable coffee maker list based on its appearance alone. This beautiful travel coffee press keeps coffee hot for hours with its stainless steel and double-walled insulated material. We adore the many colors available: matte black, bright white, brushed stainless, chalk white, gunmetal grey, sky blue, violet purple, and yellow.
This mug travels well. It's durable and spill-proof for clumsy coffee drinkers and travelers. You can even brew a cup of coffee, seal it up tight in your Espro Travel Coffee Press, and toss it in your purse, bag, or backpack without fear. We tried several methods to see if we could do anything that would make it leak or spill, and we were unsuccessful. That means this travel mug is one of the best coffee makers for portability alone.
This is a manual French press style coffee maker with a double filter, leaving coffee ultra-smooth and flavorful. Their patented Paper Filter Pressed Coffee brew method is a system that absorbs oils and removes any grit that might try to get through.
Wolecok Silicone Collapsible Coffee Filter
- Material:100% Food-Grade silicone, FDA approved
- It needs to be used with filter paper(not included), the #2 filters fit so well.
- Heat-resistant ( from -40 to 446 °F), non-stick, non-toxi, odourless and non-hazardous
- Easy to Clean, can be washed in the dishwasher.
- Collapsible silicone coffee dripper with a portable alloy hook,suitable for outdoors,traveling, office or anywhere you want to drink a fresh cup of coffee
The Wolecok Silicone Collapsible coffee filter can almost fit in your pocket. This heat resistant food-grade silicone coffee filter is collapsible and easy to clean.
This little space saver just had to make our list of best portable coffee makers. The clever design allows users to fold it up and carry it with you all day, whether you're going hiking or running the kids to the park.
One feature we enjoyed was the unique portability and durability of this maker. This little filter is wonderful for those with a small kitchen or those who like to travel in an RV. The filter practically takes up zero space, so storage will never be an issue.
Presto 02835 MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker
- The convenience of a single cup coffee maker without the high cost!
- Compact design lets you take it anywhere - home, work, school, travel or camping
- Heat water, Fill reservoir with hot water from tea kettle or place filled reservoir in microwave and heat
- Assemble, place K-Cup pack in base, attach the water reservoir and pump; brew and enjoy!
- Place assembled Coffee maker on top of your favorite Coffee Mug or cup and pump water through K-Cup pack to brew
The Presto MyJo is the first on our list to use single-serve pods. This is one of the best portable coffee makers for travelers who don't want to carry around a container of coffee beans, or ground coffee. Coffee drinkers can keep a few pods in their desk or their luggage to brew a fresh cup of coffee anywhere, anytime.
For those who don't like to use pods, no worries. You can still use your own ground coffee by using the refillable MyJo cup, which is affordable and eco-friendly. This maker is completely manual, so no batteries to worry about here. Some light assembly is required to make a fresh cup of coffee, but we found it to be easy and the coffee worth it.
CISNO NCC-N01 Automated Portable Espresso Machine
- This sleek and compact espresso machine comes with everything needed to make delicious espresso; With its convenient programmability, you can adjust your shot's daily extraction time to your liking or, with the use of the manual button, you can end at the precise moment you see your shot has finished; The LavAzza LB910 exclusively uses LavAzza Blue capsules, meaning the high quality flavors of LavAzza espresso will be ensured in your everyday cup
- Fits neatly in compact spaces
- Programmable brewing button
- Fast capsule disposal
- Adjustable cup size
The Cisno is a portable espresso machine, which means it uses 15 bars of pressure and an automatic pump to create creamy, smooth, and delicious espresso or coffee. The Cisno is battery powered, and a full charge will last up to two and a half hours. It requires the use of genuine OriginalLine Nespresso pods and warns users not to use anything else; not even pods that claim to be compatible.
The most interesting thing about the Cisno portable coffee maker is that you can make a cup of coffee in your car, as it comes with a 12V car charger.
Soma Double Wall Glass Tea And Coffee Cold Brew Bottle
- Hydration and Caffeinating at home and on the go. Designed to provide the highest quality coffee and tea with the most convenience.
- The double-wall glass keeps your Coffee hot and your hands comfortable.
- Our patent-pending stainless steel filter provides a balanced taste with no sediment
- Flip top lid is completely leak proof and provides for a perfect flow rate, hot or cold.
- Sustainable alternative to coffee pods and disposable Coffee Cups; functional for your everyday Coffee drinker to your coffee connoisseur
The Soma Cold Brew Bottle looks elegant and classy. The body is made of double-wall glass to keep your coffee piping hot. Our team loved how comfortable it felt in their hands. Its slim design holds 12 ounces of coffee, which is perfect for a travel-sized coffee maker.
The flip-top lid is leak proof and the filter is made from stainless steel. Even though it is made of glass, it doesn't feel fragile. It feels sturdy and durable, giving you the confidence to take it with you anywhere.
KOHIPRESS Portable French Press Coffee Maker
- ALL-IN-ONE brewer and insulated travel mug - The versatile KOHIPRESS uses a full immersion steep with a pressurized plunger press ( a similar method as the Aerobie Aeropress ) to make a rich, smooth cup of coffee.
- REUSEABLE FILTER - The KOHIPRESS boasts a fine micron stainless steel mesh filter which can be reused over and over again. A COST SAVER and environmentally friendly!
- PORTABLE - The LEAK-PROOF lid means you can store it away without any risk of leaks. The KOHIPRESS weighs 13 oz with a capacity of 12 oz.
- EASY CLEAN - Our Patented self - lock mechanism separates the brewed coffee from the used coffee grounds. Once finished, simply rinse the chamber and plunger under a tap.
- CHEAP IMITATIONS COST YOU MORE - The KOHIPRESS is made from high quality material (FDA Approved). The chamber is made from Premium Grade Stainless Steel. The Double Wall Vacuum keeps hot water warm and cold water cool. The hardened plastic plunger is BPA FREE and 100% food safe. Sure, there might be cheaper alternatives available. But why waste your money finding out ours is better? Just have a read of our reviews below.
The final product on our best portable coffee maker list is the KOHIPRESS. It comes with a vacuum-sealed travel mug in which to brew your coffee. It also comes with a reusable filter. You won't have to worry about carrying around a separate packet of filters for your on-the-go coffee.
With a 12-ounce capacity, the KOHIPRESS is super easy to clean and keeps coffee hot for several hours. Because of its air pressure plunge method, you'll notice a reduced filtering time that decreases any bitterness found in coffee.
We have found the best portable coffee maker for those who cannot live without caffeine. The Bodum Travel Press, Stainless Steel Travel Coffee and Tea Press is the most durable and modern version of a French press. It is practical for transporting, and the coffee tastes like it came from a fancy café.
The price point is affordable but won't make you feel like you have a cheap product. Bodum is a well-known brand, known for their French press. So why then, would you not want a portable version of their flagship product? This is an ideal option for coffee lovers who travel and who want to carry around something that looks innovative and stylish.